There is no doubt that quitting smoking can be a really tough task. The more time you are into smoking, the more difficult it is for you to keep it away. Studies reveal that smoking can cause some serious diseases including cancer, stroke and coronary heart disease. These are really dangerous and may prove fatal. In case you quit smoking before you turn 30, the chances of premature death due the diseases caused by smoking reduce by 9 percent.
Quitting on the other hand can be really difficult and have side effects of its own. These include cravings to smoke, depression, poor concentration, restlessness, sleep disturbances, irritation and aggression.
Find Out What Are The Other Effects Of Quitting Smoking
The Benefits of Quitting Smoking
The long term benefits of quitting smoking are observed only after five years. The benefits increase with the passage of time. There are however a few good symptoms that can be observed within minutes after you quit smoking. The detailed information which mentions the benefits are mentioned against the time, after which they start to appear, is termed as Quit Smoking Timeline.
Health Benefits Quit Smoking Timeline
There are a number of positives in relation to human health that can be observed within 48 hours after one quit smoking. These include,
After 20 minutes
- Decrease of Blood Pressure to normal value.
- Reduction in Pulse Rate.
- Return of temperature of hands and feet to normal.
After 8 hours
- Fall of level of Nicotine.
- Reduction of level of Carbon Monoxide in the blood stream to normal.
- Increase in the level of Oxygen in blood.
After 24 hours
- Marked reduction in the chances of you getting a heart attack.
- The nerve endings which were damaged due to smoking start to re-grow and the sense of smell and taste returns.
After 72 hours
- The entire nicotine is broken down in to other chemicals and the body is 100 percent Nicotine free. Also, 90 percent of the generated chemicals are passed out of the body through urine.
- The lung functional ability increases due to the relaxation of bronchial tubes.
- Breathing becomes easy.
Five to 30 days
- Normal blood circulation in gums and teeth.
- Reduction in the number of cravings per day.
- Reduction in the level of anxiety, restlessness and depression.
- Better sleep and concentration levels.
- Disappearance of chronic cough if it was present earlier.
- Increased ease in walking.
The Long Term Benefits
The long term benefits of quit smoking timeline are usually considered after five years of quitting. At this stage, there is a marked increase in the appetite of the person. The risk of stroke is at par with a healthy person who has never smoked in his entire life. The organs which were damages due to smoking come back to their normal working condition after about five years.
After 10 years of quit smoking timeline, the chances of your suffering from any form of cancer are 50 percent less than as compared to a person who is smoking. The chances of you getting ulcers are also greatly reduced.
After 20 years of quit smoking timeline, the overall health of the person is at par with a healthy one who has never smoked in his entire life. The chances of suffering from a deadly disease are same as compared to a person who has never smoked.
Studies have shown that regardless of what age people quit smoking, the risk of premature death from smoking related illness is greatly reduced as compared to those who continue smoking. If a person quit smoking at about age 30, he or she would reduce the risk of dying prematurely by as much as more than 90%. Quitting at about age 50 would reduce the risk of premature death by as much as 50%. Even for those who quit as old as 60 would live longer than those who do not quit smoking.
Other Health Benefits
Apart from the above internal health benefits after smoking cessation, other health related benefits include better physical appearance and mental health.
- The smell of tobacco smoke in your breath, hair and clothes will be gone.
- The dark stains will slowly fade from your nails, fingers and teeth.
- The production of phlegm will greatly reduce.
- Your coughing and wheezing will decrease tremendously.
You will look better and feel better. When your overall health and energy improves, you will feel more confident and enjoy a better social life.
Now, quitting smoking is not going to be easy. Some have even tried numerous times before succeeding. The important ingredient is making a firm decision to quit smoking. Timeline of your body recovering from the years of harmful chemical deposits will start immediately.